CEM.EN 1AM 2AM 3AM 4AM BEM 🇫🇷 Français

CEM EN

CEM EN

← Home
1AM 2AM 3AM 4AM BEM 🇫🇷 Français

Present Simple Questions with Do and Does — 1AM / 1MS

How do you ask a friend about their habits, school day or favourite activities? In the present simple, use do or does to make most questions. This short lesson includes examples, a dialogue and exercises with answers.

1. Choose do or does

SubjectQuestionShort answer
I / you / we / theyDo you read books?Yes, I do. / No, I don't.
he / she / itDoes she read books?Yes, she does. / No, she doesn't.

Form: Do/Does + subject + base verb + the rest of the sentence + ?

  • Do they play football after school?
  • Does he like music?
  • Does she go to school by bus?

Important: after does, use the base form of the verb: Does she play? not Does she plays?

2. Ask for a specific detail

Put a question word before do or does:

  • What do you do in your free time? — I read stories.
  • Where does your friend study? — At our school.
  • When do they play football? — After school.
  • Why does he like English? — Because he enjoys reading.

3. Try a short conversation

A: Do you like music?
B: Yes, I do. I listen to music in the evening.
A: Does your sister like music too?
B: No, she doesn't. She prefers reading.

Exercises

A. Complete with do or does.

  1. _____ you like music?
  2. _____ she read books?
  3. Where _____ they go after school?
  4. What _____ he do in his free time?

B. Correct the questions.

  1. Does she plays football?
  2. Do he like English?

Answers

1. Do you like music? 2. Does she read books? 3. Where do they go after school? 4. What does he do in his free time? 5. Does she play football? 6. Does he like English?

Practice tip: write two questions about a classmate's habits. Ask one with do and one with does, then answer them aloud.

Continue with our My Habits and Preferences learning guide for more present-simple examples and vocabulary.

CEM.EN — English for middle school (Algeria)
Privacy policy • © 2026